Thursday, December 5, 2013

2 days off work

On Monday, the kids went to daycare and I went to work. My six year old was complaining of a sore throat off and on. I figured it was just drainage because the other three had runny noses and drainage. I figured I would take everyone to the doctor on Tuesday because I really needed to go into the office on Monday to get some things done after being off Thursday and Friday for thanksgiving. I called the pediatrician on Monday afternoon for a different reason and she ended up transferring me to the front to make a 2 year (it was supposed to be an 18 month) checkup for the baby. I asked her while I had her on the phone if I could get 3 appointments but for sick appointments you have to call the same day. She said they only give 2 but if I brought another adult with me they would give me a 3rd if they had enough. I called the kids' Mimi and asked her if she would be available the next day to help and she said she would - Praise God! So the next morning 8:00 I started calling. It took 4 tries before I got a person and she put me on hold. I finally get her back on the phone and she gives me 3 appointments for 1:15. My 6 year old was very quiet and whiny which is how he acts when he is sick. The 4 year old and the baby are running around and playing with he 3 year old and are perfectly fine. I actually considered canceling the appointments. We did a couple of activities before we had to get ready for our appointment - it's 45 minutes away. We meet up with Mimi and get them all signed in. I thought they all had sinus infections. No one had a fever and I had been giving them a 1/2 teaspoon of Benadryl at night to stop some of the drainage and let them sleep. Well by the time it was over both of the boys had strep throat and the baby had an ear infection. SERIOUSLY? HOW DID I MISS THAT? When I thought about it though I realized that my 4 year old had not been eating. He is NOT a complainer. I have to really watch him to know if he is sick. He lays around when he has a fever (it has to be high like 101 or higher) and that's the only way I know unless I happen to snuggle with him and he's warm. Usually when his throat hurts he will say foods that he normally likes are nasty. I got nothing from him this time. I felt really bad. My 3 year old was with us and the Dr. went ahead and treated her for strep also since she had the same symptoms and they wouldn't give me 4 appointments. I thought that was very nice of her. The next great thing that she did was give me an antibiotic that only has to be given 2 times a day (for 10 days). This is great because they get it when they get up and when they go to bed and I don't have to take it to daycare and ask them to administer it. So 4 kids on antibiotics and a number of other meds. I don't think I've ever left the pharmacy with such a huge bag of medicine before. This is the first time we have had strep throat. The doctor was very thorough. The kids had to be on the antibiotic for 24 hours before they could return to daycare and she said after 48 hours to throw away their toothbrushes. I never knew any of that. My sister told me that when her kids were little she was not told and they ended up with strep 3 times before the doctor told her to toss the toothbrushes because she was re-infecting them each time.
So everyone is better. I was off work for two days and got NO housework done. Unless you count washing all of the laundry that did not get folded or put away - but it is clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment