Friday, November 29, 2013

Christmas Traditions

Now that I have adopted my children, I want to create special memories and traditions for us as a family. I have really been struggling with Christmas because while I want it to be special, I don't want it to be a time where they just get the gimmies. I want them to know and understand the real meaning of Christmas. I started out by telling them that santa claus was not real. I don't want to have them believing in santa who they cant see and then I tell them later that he's not real and then they are believing in God and then they are waiting to see if He is real too. So we had a long talk about what's real. I did find a really neat blog about talking about how people are santa in our lives. I also talked with a coworker and I think I will tell them the story of St. Nicholas along with everything else that we do so that they understand that that is where santa claus came from.
well in my searching and desire to make Christmas meaningful, I prayed. I wanted to introduce advent to our family and I wanted to have a birthday party for Jesus. I asked people how they did advent and I called friend to ask what book she used. I couldn't find the one that she had but I found one at Lifeway Christian Bookstore and I am so excited to get started. Sunday wont get here fast enough. I think this book is going to be wonderful:
Each day you read in the book and there is an activity for you to do as well. The first activity that you will do that I am so excited about is the Names of Jesus Wreath. You have to get a wreath and 15 Christmas balls. I got silver because I think the marker will show up nicer. As you are going along on the days, when you read the scripture you look for the different names of Jesus and write them on the balls and at the end of the 25 days you will have a names of Jesus wreath. I am so excited and really think the kids will love learning all of his names. Each of the stories and activities are on their level or easily adjusted. There is something to do each day and it just builds the excitement. I have already started reading the book because I just cant wait. lol
I also bought the advent candles and I bought some of the long matches so that I can let the kids participate in lighting the candles each night. This is going to be an awesome Christmas this year. On Christmas morning we are going to sing happy birthday to Jesus and have a party for him before we open any gifts. I am still praying about the details of this part because I want them to really understand the importance of the birth of Jesus and why we are having a party for him.
I have not been this excited about Christmas since I was a kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment